Hairstyling/Damaged little girl hair

My daughter is 20 months old. She does not have a bad grade of hair, she is still natural. However, my mom took it upon herself to put a kiddie perm on her edges and back because she felt it was to course...her hair has since came out. She later (against my wishes again) put braiding hair in her hair and braided it. It stayed up for about a week and when I took the braids down, to me it was damaged even more. At this point I don't know what to do. I have googled and been all over youtube. She is just a baby so I don't want to experiment too much with chemicals but I desperate because my child's hair is just about bald on the sides and in the back, its so badly damaged that it looks as if she has a nappy fade in the back. What can I do to help it grow back and yet still look pretty?

She's not even two yet, shampoo, condition, treat gently and leave it alone. Small pony tails or clips are fine and help with control. As she grows her hair will too. The less you do to it, the healthier if will be. There is absolutely no reason to use a chemical product on a baby's hair. Treat it  like fragile curly hair, treat her scalp and that's it. It'll grow much quicker and better if you leave it alone.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.