Hairstyling/4c Hair

Question
Hi Dana,
I have been natural for about 4 years and my hair is soft but soaks up moisturizers and oil up very fast. I have tried a multitude of products and no one product line or even a variation of products help my hair. I even started mixing different products to get the moisture that my hair lacked. But I'm getting to the point that my hair is so thick and tangles so bad that I want to relax my hair. Wash -n- gos are horrible for my hair. Twist outs are getting old as well as braids.
What do you suggest that I try for my hair? I've tried the scrunch method and rod method in my hair and I'm just really getting frustrated with my hair and I need some guidance. I want to try a texturizer but I'm scaried that it will damage my hair. I saw a product called the hair thermailizer but not a lot of information on the product. I haven't found anywhere to purchase the product either.

Answer
Hi Whitney,

Sorry to keep you waiting. I was teaching out of town. My favorite product line for natural hair is Mizani. Dudley is  great too but Mizani is my fave.

It's the curse of curly hair to be dry. Without knowing what you've tried, I can't really analyze why they aren't working. However, you may want to visit a salon for a professional consultation and treatment. Sometimes, you just need that extra kick of a pro product that's been prescribed once your hair has been analyzed by someone else. Then, the designer can tell you what you need to do to maintain the moisture balance. Since your hair is "soft" you may actually need a bit of moisture AND protein. Without protein, the hair has no muscle. Moisture does not repair. Moisture replenishes, detangles, softens and can add shine but it does not repair. Even though your hair is natural doesn't mean it doesn't need some added strength.

I wouldn't recommend doing any type of chemical service until you find out what is actually going on with your hair. I've had many clients come in who have been dissatisfied with the results of moisturizing treatments just to learn that they really needed protein instead, and vice versa. I would honestly be surprised if you didn't need a bit of protein added to the mix with your 4C hair texture. Hair that curly is often very fragile and the tangles make that worse.

Most reputable salons offer free consultations. If you don't have a regular designer, take advantage of that service so someone who is familiar with curly hair can take a look for you. I usually use 3 parts moisture to 1 part protein on my naturally curly clients. Sometimes more sometimes less but I can't think of one client that gets only one or the other.

If you can tell me what some of the products you've used so far, I may be able to tell you if you're using too much or too little of moisture or protein because that can be a problem also. It's all a balancing act. Having just enough of both creates balance. Knowing how much is enough of each is the trick. :c)  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear