Hairstyling/Glazes and bleach...

Question
Hello, you have answered some of my questions in the past and have helped tremendously, and have saved my hair from mistakes.  First quest. is that I usually get my roots heavy highlighted to a pale blonde, never a glaze or toner, and its always beautiful and in great shape. This time she put a glaze on it without asking, and it looks a little off and is super dry to boot. I do not think it is true that you have to have a glaze or toner?  It always looks and feels terrible when I do.  Second, is hair integrity actually saved if someone uses highlift color vs low level bleach? It does not seem that way to me, but not sure.  Thank you so much!!

Answer
Susanne,
 You do not always HAVE to tone or glaze after highlighting. Toning is done for a specific tonal outcome that you don't achieve with just the bleach highlights. Glazing is done to add additional shine and to seal the hair. It can also be done to add a sheer tone over the highlights and natural hair as well. Either way, glazing is meant to leave the hair better, not worse than without. If the opposite is true in your case then something is wrong there.
As for bleach versus colour, not all results are possible with colour. Some degrees of lightness require bleaching, as high lift blond would not be light enough or possibly very brassy. Done properly, bleach highlights should be no more damaging than high lift blond.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman