Hairstyling/step cut screw up

Question
my ponytail from the side
my ponytail from the s  
QUESTION: Hello madam, I just had a step cut from a local hair salon and it didn't come out like I expected. I wanted a medium length hair cut with closely spaced steps at the bottom but my stylist has made the top most step too high. Now it hardly joins my ponytail and that little bunch of hair stands out in a very ugly way. The rest of my pony tail now looks thin.

ANSWER: Hi Lakshmi,

I'm not sure how to help you. What is your question?

QUESTION: is there a way to make it look better? Or should i just wait for it to grow back?. I dont like my hair too thin like this.

Answer
There's not much you can do about the top layer that's too short. To make the bottom look a bit thicker about the only you can do is cut it a bit shorter without adding more layers. Eliminating the thinner ends will make it look thicker but it will also be shorter. The good news is that in the photo it looks like the top layer only needs to grow a niche to two and it will lay a bit better. You could go back and ask to have it blended a bit better but I'm thinking it will grow out a lot quicker if you let it grow. In the meantime, a bit of styling cream or pomade worked through your hair will help control it and look better as it grows out.

In general, when hair is cut too short, aside from a bit of blending, there isn't much you can do.  So sorry. I will tell you, that from the photo, your hair looks fine to me because I didn't see it before. It may not be what you wanted but I don't think it looks as bad as you feel like it does. It'll be a lot better once it's grown an inch or two and should happen very quickly.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear