Hairstyling/Hair HELP!

HI, I normally get my hair highlighted and foiled a nice pretty blonde. Last session I asked for a few lowlights and ended up with huge dark brown stripes in my hair-it looks terrible. I don't know what she did because my hair is breaking off around the hairline and on the sides and some of the top as now I am stuck with this oddly colored blonde hair with very dark thick stripes. I don't know what to do to get this fixed without damaging my hair more. I am very upset.  Any suggestions on how to get back to my regular blonde hair? Also, would keratin be useful in this situation to help the condition? I am willing to try anything at this point.

She also made a huge error in cutting my hair-that is another story-but cut a shelf like layer :(

Ok, well, there are a couple of things you can do. First, yes, keratin treatments will help.  One of my favorite protein treatments is Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus. I also LOVE Alterna Bamboo line.

As for the color, get the breakage under control and then you can  go in and break up the thick brown panels with the blond again. In the meantime, demi colors do not damage your hair. You could camouflage the thick stripes by adding in some very fine, thin weaves pieces in the same dark color. At least then you wouldn't have just a couple if stripes.

I would go back to the salon band request that they do the conditioning for you to get your hair to stop breaking. In general, if you had this done in the last week or so, they should be willing to do something for you.  I would. Be hesitant to try lifting the low lights back to blond unil you get control of the breakage you're experiencing now.

As for the cut, that could be  blended out to look better but it will probably feel a lot shorter.

You may try  moving your part around to see if you can conceal or break up the lowlights a bit as well. Diagonal and zigzag parts are very on trend right now and may give you a big improvement visually until you can get the color corrected. Good luck,

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.