Hairstyling/Cosmetology license advise

Question
I am so happy to have found you through this website. I am in a dilemma since last two years and don't know whom should I talk to. I am from India and I received my beauty and hairstyling education from my mother and worked in her salon. After coming here I realized I needed a license and 1000 hour training according to NYS license dept.  I do not know whether my mother's salon certificate will be counted as proper school certificate. I have spent two years in training and about 6 years working with her and attended many small workshops and seminars there. Back home there is no such requirement of having a license to work as an hairstylist, you just need a license to open your own salon. The NYS license website states that education outside of NY will be considered but I need state board verification that I completed the said hours. I really have no clue how to go about it. Or do I need to go to beauty school here in order to get licensed? I do not have enough resources to attend a school here and I also think it is unnecessary as I already know what they will teach there. Please guide me as to whether I should just proceed with license application using my certificate diploma from my mother's salon, and how do I do it? What other documents will I need and how should I complete the application and send it? Online or by post? And if by chance my application is considered and I am being called for exams, how much costs will I incur to buy the required kit used during exam? I am sorry for such a long question that will take a lot of your time. Thank you.

Answer
SB,
 YOu would have to contact the dept os State, Division of licensing in Albany to find out for certain, but I believe you would have to take a licensing exam. The Department of State, Division of Licensing in ALbany would be able to answer your questions on this. It may make a difference if you can prove experience elsewhere, but I truly don't know. Even if you don't have to attent the full course, you may need to attend a refresher to prepare you for the licensing exam. I would start by contacting them. The link is below.
http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/cosmetology/cosmetology.html
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman