Hairstyling/Lighteing my hair color

Question
Dear Mr Hairman,
As a child my hair was medium/dark ash blonde which looked great on my skin-tone and lightened up my face, as I grew up it kept getting darker and now I'm sort of a medium ash brown.
I tried getting my hair colored medium/dark ash blonde at several salons but I never ended up with the natural looking result I wanted, it was always brassy looking or orange, and I end up having to darken it to get it fixed then I'm back to where I started. The only thing that actually worked for me was a product I used as a teenager called "sun-in" which is basically bleach and all hair stylists hate it and claim it is very damaging, which is why I stopped using it although it gave me the exact natural looking result I wanted and no hint of orange with only one application. My question is, should I go back to using this product or is it really damaging as they say? if not then what should my hair stylist do exactly to give me the color I want? P.S my hair is now in its natural state, I haven't colored it in years. Also, I live in Egypt.

Answer
Lamia,
 The reason that Sun-in work for you as a teen is because your hair was still not very dark, so it gave the result you were happy with. At this point it would only give you orange hair, not to mention that your stylists are exactly right, that it is indeed very damaging.
Because your hair is now so much darker than when you were younger, you won't get a nice natural looking ash blonde with a single process colour. What I would suggest is that you ask your stylist for an ash colour just 2 levels lighter than your current natural colour. Be advised that it will still not truly be ash, but should counterract enought warmth to look fairly neutral. Once this is done, have them do a foil highlighting with finer strands, rather than thicker, for a more natural look that you seek. This doesn't have to be bleached to a pale blonde, but just to the degree of blonde you want. This will further lighten the overall effect and further elimnate more warmth as well.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman