Hairstyling/Style my hair

Question
Hello,

I have a big problem concerning my hair style. I went to the hair stylist the other day and said I wanted to have hair like that guy (http://25.media.tumblr.com/4be2b87c2d8a702bcec48deee810d827/tumblr_mhtkgdxveK1rd) has.

Unfortunately, the hair product (gel + hair spray for finish) didn't help me at all to achieve a similar look. The next morning my hair looked like a malformed quiff which slowly got to that cheap, flat look where the "styled" hair is basically one straight line above the forehead.

Can you help me on which products to use and how (especially the fact, that his hair looks like it's pressed backwards in the roots but in the tips falls down to the front again).

Thanks a lot!

Answer
Paul,
I'll need to clarify a couple of things first. If, by the next morning, you mean what it looked like when you woke up, it has to be freshly styled each day to maintain the look from day to day. I have afeeling however, that you mean that it didn't look at all the same when you styled it yourself the next morning.
 It's not just a matter of product. In fact, in this case I think it's a matter of hair growth and natural growth patterns, which your stylist should have seen and pointed out to you. If you look at the picture, you'll notice that his hair actually grows back on the one side, giving it that particular look you describe. I have a feeling that your hair grows forward instead, giving you a hard time getting that look.
You would want to use a medium to firm hold gel and a brush to direct that side back, making sure you get the hair at the scalp fully dry in that area so it keeps its direction for you. The rest shold work fine then. After it's all dry you can even fluff the other side a bit with your fingers to direct that side towards the face as you describe. Once you've styled it, then just a bit of spray for hold.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman