Hairstyling/Colored Hair

Question
How to tell what color dye would match my skin color?

Answer
Hiya Melody,

In general, if you have warm skin, you'll want a warmer color for your hair. If you have pink tones in your skin, a neutral or cooler tone will look nice. If you have gold flecks in your iris, you probably need warm tones in your hair.

Another way to tell, is to look at your wardrobe. If you look best in blues and greens, you might prefer cooler tones in your hair.  If you look better in yellows and golds, warmer hair tones.

The BEST way, of course, is take advantage of the complimentary consultations that better salons offer and let a pro make suggestions for you.  If you find a Redken salon, for example, they'll do a consultation and analyze your skin tone, hair type, etc and be able to tell you exactly what to avoid and will look great. Redken salons aren't the only salons that do this though. Most reputable salons do. Just call and ask if the offer complimentary consultations. They usually take about 15 minutes and you'll be amazed at the amount of info you'll get. We do these in our salon all the time. People just make an appointment and when we're done, they leave knowing more than they expected. Sometimes they call back and have us do the work and sometimes they don't. Either way, the consultation is free and you're under no obligation to hav us do the work. I DO recommend that you choose a full service salon because you want someone who does a lot of color advising you.

Good luck.

Dana

Hairstyling

Dana Sear