Hairstyling/Greys

Question
Goldwell colorance - I use 4n and 5r.  I have patches of greys and after color my color is to dir for. I get many compliments. After the fourth wash ( I wash it every third day) the greys look like highlights as they are not holding color and by the time week five comes the grey almost looks translucent. Have tried 2 different salons but same issue. What can I do to keep greys covered?

Answer
Hiya Julie,

Gray hair can be so stubborn.  I am going to assume that you have discussed the issue with your stylists. It's possible that Goldwell just isn't the color line for you if 2 different stylists have had the same results. What are you using on your hair at home?

What I do for my resistant gray clients varies but doing a deep clarifying treatment and then drying the hair first is a must. Then, there are several things that may help. The problem is, I can tell you some of the tricks I use for hard to color hair but 1 - I don't use Goldwell and 2 - I doubt your stylists will appreciate you coming i and telling them what to do.

One of the tips, besides the clarifying treatments before the color service, is to apply the color without developer to the gray areas first, then go in and apply the color as usual over that. Dropping the color down one level only on the gray hair may also help.

Another thing I do from time to time is, following the color application, I'll apply a demi color glaze, one level lighter to seal the color.

It's also important to shampoo with color saving products, in warm or cool, NOT HOT water; avoid highly moisturizing conditioners. Too much moisture will cause fadage. You might consider trying a REDKEN salon. The  training is bar none, the best.

If you answer my first few questions, I may be able to give you  more help.

dana

Hairstyling

Dana Sear