Hairstyling/Can hair get used to products?

Question
I have shoulder length, coarse, kinky African American hair that I relax. I've always struggled to prevent breakage, and this past Fall, it seemed like I finally found the answer. I used the Roux Porosity Control line for 10 weeks, and at my next relaxer, there was a really noticeable difference in my length and my hair was breaking and shedding less. I was thrilled, but I made the stupid mistake of letting a family member talk me into cutting layers into it. I didn't like it but figured I would just keep using the Roux products and it would be back to normal in a month or two. Well it's almost 4 months later, and I have seen minimal changes.
So my question is: Can someone's hair stop responding to products after a while? Because my hair is breaking and when I comb or blow dry my hair, there's more hair on the floor or in the sink that  ever before.  
Thank you!!

Answer
Hiya Rachel,

It's usually  more of a  - your hair has changed and needs something different now - kind of thing. Generally, with most products, they'll work better if you use a clarifier on your hair from time to time to prevent buildup. Try using something else for a few shampoo's and then go back to the Roux and see if that doesn't help. Keep in mind that even though your are using a product that has helped stop the breakage, you still have to be careful about the application of the relaxer. If you overlap, there is going to be breakage, no matter what product you're using to prevent it. Also, many relaxers are not compatible. If you use a sodium hydroxide over calcium hydroxide, for example.

Anyway, some will say that yes, your hair "gets used to" a certain product and you have to change but that's not really what's happening. It's just a useful way of explaining it. When your hair stops responding to a product, it usually means that you just now need something different.

Hope that helps,

dana

Hairstyling

Dana Sear