Hairstyling/horrible salon lowlight mess

Question
Hair before and after
Hair before and after  
I am hoping you can give me some advice.  I have long hair that I have been highlighting for 7 years.  Up until last year it was a beautiful blonde color with my natural medium-dark blonde acting as the lowlight.  I could go 4 to 6 months between touch ups because I didn't feel too rooty.  Six months ago I got heavy highlights which turned my hair very blonde and I lost a lot of my natural color.  I still felt rooty after my touch ups because the rest of my hair was so blonde. A few weeks ago I received a gift card for a new stylist and salon so I went and asked for lowlights and a highlight touch up to make it more natural looking. She weaved a full head of bleach highlights and lowlights in a neutral light brown that is darker than my natural color. My hair is a wreck. She highlighted my hair root to end, and now my hair is snapping.  The highlights are white.  The lowlights don't match my natural color, and the overall color is now dull, off tone, and just lifeless.  I do not know what to do to improve it.  Should I use a toning shampoo? I've tried a gold shampoo and a purple one, but I'm not sure which one to use.  Can I go to a salon and ask them to do anything or should I just let it grow out?  My hair is so long it will take years to grow out this mess .  Thanks for any advice.

Answer
Nicole,
 First of all, I'll never understand why people feel compelled to give a gift card to a different salon when the recipient is happy where they are. I even discourage my clients from giving friends gifts to our salon if they are happy where they are.
That said, shame on the new stylist for doing such poor work. I would suggest going back and showing them the poor result and have them do some conditioning treatments and tone it for you.
You'll need a plan of action. Firstly, call them and let them know you'll be stopping in to show them your hair and set up a series of conditioning treatments which they should not be charging you for. She should not have highlighted of very long highlighted ends, period. Your first visit to them will be for conditioning. You will then go home and over the next few days do several shampoos with liquid laundry detergent. No scrubbing, just gently working it through and leaving for 10-15 minutes, gently working through from time to time. The high detergent nature will gently lift the dark colour a bit, more safely than a lightener. After each shampooing you will want to condition. Once this is done you can go back and have them tone with a non ammonia golden blonde to add tonality to the blonde. You don't want to do this before the stripping shampoos, however. To this end a gold shampoo would help also, as it would add tonality, where the purple shampoo will make it look whiter. You may even want to opt for the shampoo instead of the salon toning for the sake of safety and less chance for error in judgement.
As it grows out you'll want to go back to your original stylist again for maintenance.  
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman