Hairstyling/matrix socolour

Hi. I got a halo hair extension wire which is a light auburn colour but its still lighter than my natural hair which is also light auburn. I took it along to a sally's shop and the best match was the matrix socolour 8R, it was spot on looking at the colour shade chart. The advisor there said that it should be fine as my natural colour was auburn too. However, it was a lot darker than expected after I dyed my hair. I used a 20 developer. Its turned out quite a dark auburn now which is even further away from the colour I was wanting to match the extensions! The extensions look more like a copper strawberry blonde. Should I have used a 30 developer? I only anticipated having to lighten my hair two shades to get the best result so thats why I used the 20. Is there anything I can do to lighten the colour? Or is it best to try to dye the extensions darker? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks for your time.

What you need to do before it gets worse is to go to a salon to get this fixed. To lighten your hair now would require lifting out the colour with bleach or colour remover before you can apply a lighter colour. Lighter colour will not lift darker colour on its own. I suspect that the colour was not light enough to begin with and 30 volume would not have made enough difference anyway. I'd suggest going to a salon to get your hair more closely matched to the extensions. Even a cosmetology school in your area, where the work is done under the guidance of a trained instructor at very reasonable prices. But deepening the extensions is no easy task either. The hair is usually highly processed and takes colour differently than your own. This is also something that you may want to have done for you instead of experimenitng on your own. Often this would be done with a non ammonia demi permanent colour instead of permanent.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)  

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in