Hairstyling/toner

Question
Hi, I just put T18 toner on, and it made my hair carmel colored-which is fine but-I would like it more beige than  carmel, I have highlights underneath and on ends. My hair is very healthy , but my skin has yellow in it, So I'm trying to get the yellow out of my hair,and no red.. thx

Answer
Hiya Faye,  

I don't know what T18 toner is. If its a product you bought at the store, it should have an 800 number on the package. The color hair is affects the color it becomes. Without being able to see your hair in person I would only be able to guess. I never, under any circumstances recommend doing color at home.  At any rate, call the number on the package. They will be able to tell you which color to buy to get you to a more natural, beige tone without the yellow.

I can't tell you what shade to use because I don't know how light or dark your hair is or what colors are already on it. I can tell you that you need to avoid permanent color. Demi color only.  Call the customer service number. They'll know exactly what is in the toner you used and which toner to use to fix it. I don't have access to non professional products to answer you question with more than a guess.

Good luck,

Hi Faye,

I'm glad you were able to find the info you needed. I looked it up and see that T18 is a Wella shade. That would have been useful information to me. I have not used Wella in more than 10 years and shades are added, removed and reformulated all the time. When i did use Wella i used the pro line Koleston. There are 100's of professional color lines and I currently use the 5 that Redken produces and a couple others for their vivids.  I guess I should have googled T18 before I answered your question. Color Charm isn't really considerd a professional line so my only experience with has been in correcting colors that went wrong and by the time a client gets to me, they've used 3 or 4 things in their hair to try and fix it at home first.

What you need to know is the color wheel is your best friend. The color your hair is affects the color it becomes. So if its too yellow, go straight across the color wheel to violet. If its too red, you use green. Coloring hair isn't like painting a house. You don't cover up what's already on your hair. You add to it, minimize it or enhance it. Everyone sees color differently. There are those who think beige and caramel look the same. Be sure to look at your hair in different types of light before you decide on your toners as well. Good luck and have fun! It's amazing what we can do with color! :c)

Hairstyling

Dana Sear