Hairstyling/Bad texturizer

Question
Hi Dana,
I recently cut all the relaxer off my hair (Jan.) and put a texturizer on (Soft & Beautiful Botanicals texturizer). I loved it!!! My hair was soft, and the curls were very defined.  Fast forward three days ago... I put another texturizer (Pink Luster Shortlooks) on because the two stores I were in didn't have the Soft & Beautiful Botanicals.  I thought it would be okay, after all, it was a texturizer.

Well to begin with, the original texturizer only had me leave it in about 7 minutes...I did 5 and removed it.  But this kit, called for 15 minutes!  Well, I followed directions and did what the kit said.  My hair- well it is horrible.  I can't even run my fingers through my hair and even after putting the moisturizer on it becomes dry and coarse looking.  I have fine hair, it has never looked coarse, not even before the first texturizer.

Please tell me how to take care of/fix this mess until it grows off...I can't shave my hair off......

It's not breaking or shedding when I comb it, but it looks just like it feels- dry and hard to the touch!  HELP ME!!!

Answer
Hi Torrey,

So sorry! It almost sounds as though you used a sodium hydroxide and then a calcium hydroxide or vice versa must because products call themselves texturizers instead of relaxers doesn't mean they are compatible. By the way, a texturizer is just a relaxer you don't leave in as long. I use Mizani Butter Blend and that info comes straight from the good folks at Mizani. When products are marketed as texturizers, they say a lot of the time, the only difference is the formula is mild and the instructions and packaging is different. What's inside is the same.

Ok, to answer your question, I know this is going to sound counterproductive but you need Protein AND Moisture. Protein repairs, moisture does not. Protein is the muscle. Moisture makes your hair soft and supple.  I would recommend something like Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus, Joico Reconstructor or Mizani Moisturizing Masque. It's designed specifically for your situation. You can see that product here: http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=805&p=5141&rid=300

By using a bit of protein, you'll prevent any breakage from starting and all these products have the intense moisture you need as well.

None of them use animal proteins so they will not cause your hair to be hard or brittle. That's an myth anyway. Many MANY years ago, the protein that was used in hair  care products was animal proteins. Used alone or too often would make the hair brittle. That hasn't been true for over 30 years. You can no longer OVER proteinize your hair. However, healthy hair has a balanced amount of both Prtotein and Moisture. When hair has been damaged, the disulfide bonds (protein) have been broken down. You need to put more in to fill in the gaps. The moisture then envelopes the proteins making the hair soft and supple. Protein is sticky. As your hair improves, you won't need as much but the lack of it now is why your moisturizers aren't working.

Do a couple of treatments that include protein and you should see a vast difference. The fact that your hair isn't breaking off is a very good sign so I'm  sure you can get your hair back to normal. :c)  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear