Hairstyling/curly hair

Question
Hi my name is emily and I have very long and thick blonde hair, my hair is naturally wavy and is easy to straighten however I would really like to wear it curly, like bouncy curls. I have tried using hair curlers and a a lot of hairspray but it doesn't hold any longer than half an hour, I have tried rollers, special products and it never hold for long.

Have you got any suggestions how to keep it curly? The hairdressers I have spoken to in the past think my hair is just to heavy to hold curls, do you think this is true?

Emily

Answer
Hiya Emily,

Is your hair layered? Hair CAN be too heavy to make holding a curl a bit harder but usually it's just a matter of finding what works on the individual. Since your hair is already wavy, it should be possible for you to get curl to hold. There's always an exception of course.

When I'm working with hair that's difficult to curl or difficult to get the curl to last, I use very small sections of hair. I hold the hair out, spray curl activator of some kind DOWN the hair strand and curl. Regardless of what I'm using to create the curl, I catch the curl in my hand and pin or clip I it in place. I'll then give the hair a light spray of hair spray and allow the curls to completely dry before removing the pins and allowing the curls to hang loose.

You say you have "very long' hair. Without knowing much more about your hair, I can only guess as to why your hair won't hold a curl but it's often because we try to curl too thick of a section, but if you've had several stylists tell you the problem is how thick or how long your hair is, you might consider having it layered and texturized a bit to help the curl stay. IT's very important to allow the curl to cool before  you allow it to just hang loose or brush or pull on it. That makes a huge difference. So, thin, find sections and allow hair to completely cool before releasing the curl.

Good luck,

dana

Hairstyling

Dana Sear