Hairstyling/Follow Up: foiling

Hi Dana, Please refer to the question below... I went to a salon where there was a deal on foils, and they added three, however, they did not lift to the color equally, and I'm not sure they were toned.  What should I do?

Here is my original question:

On Monday, I went to the salon for a full foil, in order to update my highlights from September.... nothing lifted, so I went back yesterday, and we decided to use bleach, as I'm naturally a brunette, and am putting in warm blonde highlights.  I'm also trying to get rid of a lowlight, which has been bugging me almost all year, and that was put in to frost out orange bleeds.  The new highlights look good for the most part, however, I think it looks a little uneven on the sides (i.e. more foils on one side), and the lowlight just won't go away either.  What do you think I should do?  Is it common to have this happen, and do most people just leave it?

Well, now that you've gone to a different salon, the first salon has no responsibility to fix them. I should have been more clear with my first response that you needed to go back to the salon that did the highlights in the first place. Now, your only choice is to go back to the second salon that put the 3 additional foils in and ask to have them fixed. Be sure to make clear that you just want the color evened out on the 3 foils they added for you and a toner to make the color match so they don't charge you for it. Even if it was a coupon or something like that, they will want to  make you happy. That was the whole reason for running a special in the first place; to get you in the door and show you how great they are. Unfortunately, it sounds like they missed the mark on the first go round so now you need to go back.

Side note: often, when salons run coupons or specials, it's designed to help build a particular stylist and it's usually a new one. You need a more experienced stylist, and preferably a colorist when you're having corrective work done. Corrective color takes more experience and more training than a service that isn't being corrected from a previous mistake.

I wouldn't go to a third salon. Go back to the one that put the last 3 foils in and find out what they can do. AND, from now on, look at your hair closely before you leave the salon. Don't wait until you get home. If it's not right, have them fix it right then, or if they don't have time and it's something you can live with until they can get you in for a fix, make the appointment before you leave and keep it. I have one friend who, if you schedule a fix with her, and you don't show up, she'll charge you for the service when you do show up. Most don't but it's always a possibility.

Good luck, dana

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.