Hairstyling/Hair color issues

QUESTION: Hi there,

I have been coloring my hair since I was 18 because that is when I started getting grey hair. I use SoColor by Matrix 2ozs 507N and 2 ozs 506N with 20V developer. My hair seems to look drab and flat. I would really like more gold in my hair. Should I use a 8G semi permanant over the permanent color? Basically I would need to process twice..but for how long? Right now I process the 506N and 507N for 50 for 55 minutes minutes.

Also, my mom is 67 with pure white hair. She uses 508N with 20V developer for 45 minutes and would like it to be more of a golden brighter blond. Any suggestions?

Would cassia henna brighten up both of our hair colors???

Thanks SO much in advance for your help. :-)

ANSWER: Susan,
 My apology for the delayed response. If you want more gold in your colour, then it should be in your colour formula. Adding gold on top of the colour will not do much, especially adding a lighter colour over a darker one. One of the current colours should be replaced with a gold in the same level. The same would apply for your mother's colour. If seh wants her colour not only golder but lighter as well, then it would have to be lightened before the new lighter colour could be applied. This is not a do it yourself project, but should be done professionally for the colour change. As for henna, the same concept applies. I would just add gold to the colour.
best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

QUESTION: What is the difference between 7N and 507N in the Matrix Socolor line exactly? I know the "50" is for people with 50%+ grey hair but it is make that big of a difference when coloring grey hair? If so know why? The 50 series for grey doesn't give many color options..mainly Neutral, warm and ash. I really like gold but there are no options for gold in the 50 line for covering grey. What is my best option for covering my grey plus adding gold into my hair? What would you use. I am about 25% grey.

Thank you!

ANSWER: Susan,
 With all due respect, this is one reason why professional colours are labeled for professional use only. This colour series is meant for additional grey coverage for hair with over 50% grey and is meant to be used in place of the regular N series for this purpose, when mixed with other colour series, such as gold, for different tonality desired. If you are not 50% greay then you would use the standard N series.
Best of luck to you,
Stephe (hairman)

QUESTION: Yeah, I understand what you are saying but I live in an area where the stylists are terrible. My hair has been orange, red, green etc because if the way these "professionals" do not understand the color wheel. My hair has never looked so good since I figured out what colors to use. I wish I could find someone who actually knows how to color hair but that is impossible. Thanks for your help.

It's always upseting to hear how difficult it can be to find a good stylist or colorist. And I know you're not wrong. What i suggest is watch for women with great looking colour and ask where they get it done. They'll be flattered that you noticed.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe ( hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in