Hairstyling/Hair Straightening Treatment

Hi Dana,

I have read some of the questions posted and your responses and would really appreciate if you can help me with my query.

I have a little dry, thin, moderately curly / wavy hair and want to go in for a smoothening cum straightening treatment which would give my hair shine as well as a natural straight hair look (unlike the stick straight look from rebonding). I have gone in for hair rebonding as well as Xtenso treatments in the past (5-6 years ago).

I visited a well known salon in my area and the person there told me to go in for Moisture therapy from Loreal or Wella Silk Sheen Service adding that the Wella silk sheen service is the best as it has the least chemical content compared to Rebonding, Smoothening and Moisture therapy and would also last for around 18 months. I have searched on the net, however, I have not been able to find much information regarding which treatment is better. I am really confused and not able to decide which treatment to go in for.

I would really appreciate if you can help me with this.

Hi Vandana,

It would be hard for me to dispute what a stylist who has seen your hair in person has already told you. I don't use either of the products you mentioned. I use Redken Shape Control, Broccato CurlInterupted and Iso Mane Tamer. I have also used the Chi smoothing system. I HAVE, however, heard that the Wella smoothing system is great. If you were to come to my salon, based on the description of your hair, I would probably choose the Redken and use the cold smoothing technique. I spoke to a friend of mine that uses the Wella system and she agreeswith the stylist you've already spoken with, in that Wella would do a great job of smoothing out the curl and conditioning your hair. She also uses Redken and has used Broccato as well and said she has achieved similar results with the Redken vs Wella. That being said, you might try googling Wella Silk-Treat Straight Service. I believe that is what your stylist was talking about. It uses silk proteins. The great thing about silk is it has 17 of the 19 amino acids found in hair so it's most similar to hair. It is used in many products for it's strengthening and reparative qualities. That's how Wella can claim that it will repair your hair during the process. Wella is also a reputable company with great products. I would trust your stylist on this one.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.