Hairstyling/brand of perm to buy

Hi, I would like to know which brand of perm is right for my hair type. Back in the 80s and 90 s my stylist 6 used a matrix perm . It stunk, then she said that a new type of perm came out with less stink and more mild chemicals I do not remember what type it was . I have hard to wave hair an it is slightly below my shoulders.  I had great results with this perm. I like my perm tight but not kinky. Can you help? My stylist moved and I can't find a good perm where I live. There is a woman who is a stylist on the side who works with me and she said she would do my hair.  But she asked if I remember ed the type of perm I used to get. I don't, all I remember is matrix.

Hiya Evelyn,

Matrix has many perms. My first reaction is, your new stylist (who works on the side) should be looking into this for you. This concerns me. If you have had a history o f difficulty with perms in the past, I would highly recommend you continue looking for a stylist. Preferably, one who doesn't ask the client what to do.  ;v) if you go to or you can use their salon finder by putting in your zip code. People who's hair is "hard to wave" probably shouldn't be going to someone who just does hair on the side.  Unless she's a perm specialist, I think you should keep looking.

Check out those two links. If you don't find a salon near you, get back with me. I network with hairdressers all over the country and I may be able to find someone for you.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.