Hairstyling/Brazilian Blowout

Question
I have naturally curly/frizzy hair but when I use a GHD my hair is very sleek.
I would like to try out the Brazilian blowout but I am skeptical about the long term effects (of any)
Should I do it or not?
Will it spoil my hair as I like to have my hair curly sometimes but don't have time to flat iron.

Answer
Hi Carmen,

Your best bet is to have an in person consultation with a designer who actually performs the service. I mostly use Redken Shape Control, and a couple others occasionally, but I do not do the Brazilian specifically.  My personal opinion is formaldehyde free, including any formaldehyde derivatives, OR any that produce formaldehyde gas when the applied heat creates  steam, are not worth the health risks.

As far as your hair type goes, I always do an face to face consultation prior to any smoothing/straightening service to determine the condition if the hair.  Sometimes, we can perform the service immediately, other times, we chose to do a series if conditioning treatments before scheduling the service, and other times I recommend alternatives.  I cannot make those decisions without seeing the hair in person so I cannot tell you if it will damage your hair or not but I would strongly recommend looking into more than one straightening system and weighing  your options.

Check out Redken and Brocato, then compare them to the Brazilian. You may find some options you didn't know about.

Good luck,

Dana

Hairstyling

Dana Sear