Hairstyling/Coloring grays

Can I color gray hairs with demi or semi permanent color without changing my base?

My base color is ash/rose brown about level 5-6, and lots of natural warmish highlights about level 7-8. I'm about 30% gray.

Hiya Shirley,

If you're doing the color at home, this is the only way I recommend doing it. Yes you can but keep in mind that semi and demi colors will mostly blend the gray rather than give you 100% coverage. With only 30% gray, even if you came into my salon, I would probably use a demi color on you. Semi and demi colors are not designed to lift or lighten your hair color so as long as you choose something lighter than your natural and with the same base tone, it won't change the base color much, other than to add a bit of shine.

I started covering my gray when I was about 23 and I used demi color to do it until I was about 60% gray, although that was pushing it a bit. :c)

Good luck,

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.