Hairstyling/Hair Color gone darker than wanted

My natural hair is black/darkest brown (Indian).
I've been dying my hair a long time with the same home colour which turned my hair a medium brown (level 5).
I went to the salon to have it professionally "changed" (intending to go lighter) to a light brown (level 5) but left with my hair looking DARK brown if not black like! I hate it!

The salon said they did a "high lift" at the roots I believe.

How can I get my hair back to how it was or lighter?

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Firstly, my apology for the delayed response. I missed your letter. Without more information I can't quite speculate what they did, but they could not have used a high lift and leave you darker than you started, so they obviously messed up somewhere. What needs to be done now is for your hair colour to be lifted somewhat so that it can accept the new lighter colour that you want. Since colour won't lift colour they will have to do this with a mild hair bleach, not to blonde, but only light enough for the desired light brown. My suspicion is that that if they lifted your colour they used a colour remover instead of a bleach. These are notorious for going darker again when the new colour is applied. If they didn't try to lift your old colour at all, then shame on them for not knowing that this had to be done.
So again, your colour will have to be lightened and then you can get the light brown you want.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)  

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in