Hairstyling/socolor mix

Question
I usually use socolor 9 or 10n with 11A.  I am out of ash.  Can I use color sync spv or 10v?  Can I get the same result?  I usually use this with 40 vol.

Answer
Hiya Donna,

I have to start with this because I'm a licensed hairdresser. I never, under any circumstances, advocate doing your color at home. There are many reasons for this. Some obvious, some not so obvious. I won't bore you with all that here. I am going to assume you are not a hairdresser because you would be asking about using a Demi color in place of a Permanent color. Socolor is a permanent color and Color Sync is a Demi color. You cannot lift with Demi color nor can you mix it with regular developer to make it a permanent color. If the color formula you have is working, you're better off just waiting until you can get the color you need.

If you're buying pro only products online, be very careful. They are not legally purchased, or they have been sold by someone who can purchase them legally but who isn't supposed to be selling them to companies who sell to non-licensed consumers. Often they are old,expired, etc. Matrix will not back them up if something goes wrong and when/if something does go wrong it's going to be unpleasant.

That being said, you'd be better off using something in comparable tones and levels that you can buy at a Sally Beauty Supply than you would trying to make your color with a hodgepodge. Mixing color isn't as easy as it looks. I wouldn't risk it. You can get Clairol or Ion Color at Sally in 9's, 10's and 11's with the N's and A's and you're much more likely to match up your current color. They aren't necessarily "professional" color but you'll at least know what you're getting and you'll be able to see color swatches there to match up to your hair.

Good luck,

Dana

Hairstyling

Dana Sear