Hairstyling/hair color

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me with this issue. I colored my hair yesterday. Yes, I know most people say go to a professional rather than do it yourself, but I simply cannot afford that. My hair is naturally a very light brown/very dark blond. I was blond as a child.

I wanted to go a couple shades lighter. I bought 2 boxes of the L'Oreal Preference natural blond, which is level 9, I realize my hair would not come out as the model on the box, and had read about hair color making your hair a middle ground between your natural color and the hair color. Also, my hair is 100 percent "virgin hair", and I have not used any hair color in 10 years, which has completely grown out and been cut since then obviously.

What happened with the color yesterday was that it took very well at the roots and first few inches, but the further down my hair the less it took, and by the ends of my hair it literally did nothing. Would it make sense to repeat the process only using the dye on the lengths of my hair, not my scalp, leaving it on longer?

How do I get the lengths of my hair to match the first 3-4 inches up at my scalp area? Also, I had washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo 24 hours prior to coloring, and did not use any product in my hair so this was no due to anything like that. Thanks for your help.

The reason for this is that the hair strand at the scalp is softer keratin, not having fully hardened yet, whereas the mid-strand and lengths are hardened, so are more difficult to lighten. For this reason a virgin application is usually done. applying 1/2 inch from the scalp and then once processing is under way, reapplying to the scalp and again to hair strands.
At this point the mid-strand and ends will have to be redone, avoiding the scalp area that is the right colour. Even then, they still may not lighten as you like. If not, you will need to have this done professionally. If you cannot afford a salon I would suggest a cosmetology school in your area. The work is done at reasonable prices under the guidance of trained instructors.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in