You are here:

Hairstyling/Home Perm Applications


I'm a 40 year old with fine hair that is hard to keep a curl in, so I've relied on perms. But I'm tired of shelling out the big bucks and have decided to do it at home with the help of a friend. Since my hair is difficult to keep curl in, should I use TWO perm applications, and if so does that mean I have to use TWO neutralizers as well? Thank you so much for any advice in advance!

 There is a reason you shell out the big bucks for a professional to do these things. They are trained and must pass a qualifying exam, have a license to perform the services and must maintain malpractice insurance. This should tell you something. It's not as easy as it may seem to do at home.
The amount of perm and neutralizer are determined by the amount and length of hair, NOT by resistance or texture. This is why perms come in different strengths and formulas, to accommodate the varied needs of different hair textures and conditions.
You really should play this one safe and continue going to your stylist for this. I don't think your friend will be insulted, and your hair will thank you.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (Hairman)


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.


I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in

©2017 All rights reserved.