Hairstyling/Hair colour

Hi Dana,

I would like some advice from you on colouring.  I had a new client who had two tone of blonde highlites, some are blench blonde and some are kind of natural gold blonde. She has now 4 inches grown and her natural hair level i would say around 6, without too much warm in it. My question is can I use single process blench (with 20%) on her natural hair to get really light blonde result.  BTW I'm not familiar with toners, I personally use tube colours to get the results.  She doesn't mind to go very blonde as long as no orange tone. I'm using Wella blench power and Alfaparf tube colours.  

Hi Hana,

First of all, toners are simply demi permanent colors. They are generally a better choice for toning because either don't breakdown the disulfide bonds any further. Since we break down up to 20% with lightener, and 10 to 15% with permanent color, you can see why demi color is a better choice most of the time.  As for your specific question, in general, lightener will continue to lighten as long as it doesn't dry out so, yes, you should be able to lift a level 6 to pale blond.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.