Hairstyling/question about daughter's cut

My 11 year old daughter has hair a few inches past her shoulders and has been all one length for a long time.  She wants to keep it long.  We went to get a trim and the stylist offered to taper/angle it a little in the front (to create a little angle around the face.)  My daughter agrees to just slight tapering (I am not sure if I am using the correct wording.)  The angle did not even make it up to her chin which was fine.  My daughter's hair has a natural part to the side and she has styled it to the side forever. The stylist parted her hair in the middle and did the angling/taper around the face.  The problem is, when my daughter combs it to the side again, there is only tapering on one side and nothing on the other side.  I asked the stylist about that and she said you part down the middle and cut no matter if there is a part to the side or not.  It just looks weird.  I know I can take her somewhere to have them do what we think looks right.  But is this stylist correct?  Or should she have combed it with the part to the side before cutting?

Hi Michelle,

Everyone has their way of doing things but I always cut to the part the client wears first. Then, if the client parts his or her hair differently from time to time, I'll part it in different areas and tweak it a bit so it looks layered and balanced regardless of how they comb that day.

I'm not sure why a stylist would part the hair and layer it down the middle if the client doesn't wear it parted in the middle. I'm going to make a wild assumption here and guess the stylist is very new. I'd find another stylist. If this one couldn't see that the cut was unbalanced by cutting it parted down the middle, I'd allow her to practice on someone else's daughter. LOL

Take to her someone else and get that cut fixed and then I'd call the salon manager and let them know that you did. Of course, you have the option to go back and ask the same stylist to fix it :c)

You're not wrong on this. Good luck,

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.