Hairstyling/toner... when to use

Question
I had my hair foiled with Wella and bleach mixed in on Wed. I am a moderate brunette, and put lots of blonde highlights in.  My hairdresser did not think that it was necessary to tone it this time, however, she did the last time, but that was after trying to pull a lot of dark hair out, from an overbearing lowlight.  Is it normal to not use a toner, based on what was done this time... she only did highlights, basically to update my virgin hair.  If it isn't necessary, great, as I can't justify the cost anyway (she actually raised it by $30 following the consultation, which may have really been one of our errors, but it was just too much), however, all the more reason to not have any mistakes.  Some friends who are in the business tell me they don't think it would be necessary, which is reassuring, however, I want to really be sure.

Answer
Toner, aka glaze, is designed to add or remove tone.  If the tone was something you both liked, after the highlight, adding a toner isn't necessary.. Mist of the time, when lightener is used, the toner us necessary because it doesn't add a lot if color. It just lightens so the hair is some level of yellow. If that's what you want, toner isn't necessary.

The bottom line is, how does the color look? Both now and a couple of weeks after you've had it done. Toner is not mandatory. It's used to perfect or correct.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear