Hairstyling/should a toner have been used

Question
I had my hair foiled with Wella and bleach mixed in on Wed. I am a moderate brunette, and put lots of blonde highlights in.  My hairdresser did not think that it was necessary to tone it this time, however, she did the last time, but that was after trying to pull a lot of dark hair out, from an overbearing lowlight.  Is it normal to not use a toner, based on what was done this time... she only did highlights, basically to update my virgin hair.  If it isn't necessary, great, as I can't justify the cost anyway (she actually raised it by $30 following the consultation, which may have really been one of our errors, but it was just too much), however, all the more reason to not have any mistakes.  Some friends who are in the business tell me they don't think it would be necessary, which is reassuring, however, I want to really be sure.

Answer
Julianne,
 It is not always necessary to tone after highlighting. If the hair comes up to the desired level and tonality without toning, there is no need, especially if you're happy with the outcome. The price increase does sound alarming though, if she did what you discussed and didn't have to tone, but that's another issue.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)  

Hairstyling

Hairman