Hairstyling/hair smoothening

hi.. i am 20 yrs old.. i had my hair smoothening one week back..
in one wash only my hairs were wavy again.. i went back to that saloon.. my hair stylist said we need to do it again.. is it safe to undergo the same process in a week. will it be harmful? i am really scared. plz help !! rply asap

Hi Tanu,

Since you went back to the salon and the designer was able to look at your hair, if he/she says it needs to be done again, most likely, the formula used the first time wasn't strong enough. Your designer will probably condition your hair before and after, use a mild formula and get the results you're looking for. Then, next time you need it done, he/she will probably use a different formula and get it right the first time.

This isn't that unusual with a first time client. Many designers prefer to go the mildest formula possible the first time around just to be on the safe side.

I would ask if he/she plans on conditioning before and after and if repeating the service is going to change your home maintenance plan but if your designer didn't think it was safe to do again, he/she would probably have recommended conditioning treatments instead of a redo. If your hair was damaged or overprocessed I seriously doubt your designer would suggest doing it again.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and get reassurances that doing the service again isn't going to damage your hair. Your designer should be able to explain why it didn't take the first time. If you still don't feel comfortable doing it again, ask what other options you have. I think you'll feel a lot better when you ask more questions and have the process explained.

Good luck

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.