Hairstyling/Hair spa

Question
QUESTION: I have a very thick hair and finding a solution how to get thinner, so when my friends suggest me that i try to hair spa-ing my hair. is it good to try a hair spa in my hair inorder to get thinner? If no, can u listed the methods how to get thinner of my hair? Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Kristine,

I'm not sure i understand what you mean. I assume hair spa is a service but I don't know what you're talking about. Do you mean a smoothing system or straightener? Anything you do to thin your hair is going to be temporary. Can you be more specific? I'm sorry, i just don't understand.

QUESTION: Hi! My point is there a treatment that makes my hair strands get thinner, because, i have very very thick strands of my hair and i want to get thinner. Does hair spa makes my hair strands thinned?

ANSWER: Ok, well, smoothing and rebonding treaments make the hair more compact and make it feel a bit thinner. However, there's really no way to actually shrink the hair strand. Anything you do to close the cuticle down and make it lay smooth will help but the results are rather limited.

I don't know what you mean by "hair spa". If it's a specific treatment you have where you live, you'd have to ask someone who actually performs that service. Not all services and treatments are available in all areas. "Hair Spa" is not a service where I live, nor are there any products by that name. I did a search to see if I could find anything but I didn't. Where I live a spa is a place and a spa treatment is a process you get at a spa but it's not a specific process. Sorry, but I can't be much help with that.  

I have several clients who have massive amounts of hair that also tends to be frizzy. I use a smoothing treatment on their hair and they seem to be happy and their hair seems a bit more condensed, but if you're looking for something that will actually make your hair strands smaller, there's not much you can do.

QUESTION: Can i do hair relax instead of hair rebond? does hair relax is the other way to get thin of ur hair?

Answer
In general, relaxers are much more aggressive than smoothing or rebonding. They break the disulfide bonds in the hair which translates into damage. They also cannot be combined, or layered over other chemical treatments without risk of further damage. While relaxers will make your hair straight, which can make it seem thinner, it's only because straight hair isn't as full as curly hair. Once you get a relaxer, you cannot easily switch to another system.

I still think your best bet is to have a smoothing treatment done. Brocato, Redken, Matrix, Chi, ISO and many others have smoothing treatments that are gentler than perms and relaxers. If a deep conditioning treatment and a flat iron make your hair feel smoother and less dense, a relaxer is probably more aggressive than necessary.

I'll say it again. There isn't really any way to make your hair thinner. A well executed razor cut, in my personal opinion, is a better option because it isn't damaging to the hair. Not everyone does razor cuts and whether or not that would work on your hair or not depends on your hair type. However, I have have had a lot of success with Brocato Curl Interrupted, Redken Shape Control and Chi. If a good hair cut and the right deep conditioning and home maintenance products don't solve your problems, that would be my recommendation.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear