Hairstyling/I have pale, cool toned skin and eyes. Can natural red hair tones ever look good?

I have very fair skin. I'm 100% cool toned. My eyes are pale blue grey.
My natural hair color is an ashy level 5 I believe. A light brown. Maybe medium/4
It can highlight into blonde naturally like when I used to go outside

I have always loved red hair colors. I have had it in various forms. Once a dark crimson red (not neon) but red red. It was not at all natural tones. I liked it though.

I have had some red browns and auburn colors a long time ago but I don't have a ton of pictures left.

So basically I'm asking - is it possible to have a pro give me natural looking red hair and would it likely clash too much with my cool tones in skin and eyes ?!

Do you have any advice on this? I have read online different guidelines and some are total opposites from the other list!!!! Some say only burgundy and cherry tones and another will say strawberry blonde and coppery ginger for fair skin

So what's the deal ?? Can a natural red tone ever look normal on my coloring??

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi Karalyn,

Absolutely! Here's one example:

The best way to find a great shade of red is to actually see the color swatches against your skin. Even when I have a client that loves red, but doesn't have a great skin tone for it, we just put in more than once color and have a more complimentary shade closest to the face with the red we like as an accent color. It works beautifully with any shade. When I have clients who love cool blond  or warm brown, we do the same thing. We work in the shade that looks best against their skin, and then ease into the shade they love as we move away from the face.

Great haircolor isn't a shoepolish finish anyway.

Most salons offer complimentary consultations. Make an appointment for a consultation so you can see the swatches. If your hair was red "a long time ago" your skin tone and current hair color probably isn't exactly the same anyway. You'll still need to figure out what will look good against your skin now. I LOVE the red in this photo. Here's another one I like that's a bit different:

And another:

There are a lot of choices. You'll be able to find something that looks like you were born with it.

Good luck,  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.