Hairstyling/Perms for men

Hello   Dana
         I am a male of 62 and thin built    I have lost a lot of hair on top    When I was in my 30's the ladies in the hair salons    Gave me lots of perms tights ones   I enjoyed it too and like the rods in my hair    It may seen female like but I didn't care.     I am sort of small built any way.      I look younger then my age too      I now wear a shoulder lenght human hair wig to stores where no one knows me   And love having all that hair  blowing in the wind too  love it    Would a perm like wig look ok on  me ?     I have no girl friend so no one to really hide it from other then family    Am I FEMILIZING MYSELF TOO MUCH  iT DOES MAKE ME WISH I was a women  at times  

Hi Johnny,

Lot's of men were getting all kinds of salon services, including perms, when you were in your 30's and they still account for 30 to 50% of the salon services today. I'm not sure why you would think it's "female like" but I assure you, men in salons is not an unusual situation.

As for whether or not a curly wig will look good, the only way to be certain is to go to a wig shop and try some on. I wouldn't be able to tell you what would look good on you without being able to see you anyway. What makes one style look good over another is determined by your face shape, skin tone, body shape and size, etc. If you think the long wig you're wearing now looks good, it's very likely you'll be able to find a curly one that looks good. It just needs to mimic the shape of the one you have now. Again, I'd just recommend going to a wig shop and try some on.

There are a few web sites where you can upload a photo of yourself and "try on" hair styles. has one. I just don't think they're very good in general and seeing it in person is always better. You might just consider having a consultation with a stylist you trust for some suggestions on what will work best for you.

What concerns me more is that, as a grown man, you feel the need to "hide" anything from your friends and family. Without knowing you, I can only assume that you would expect them to disapprove but at the age of 62, I think you've earned the right to just be you. If you like wearing wigs, I say go for it. Lots of people are doing lots of things that others may or may not do, but ultimately, living authentically is a reward in itself. By the way, we have several male clients who come to our salon that wear wigs, makeup, women's clothing, jewelry, etc. Sometimes they come in drag, sometimes they come in t-shirts and jeans. WE do their hair and makeup for them when they have events to attend, etc. Some of them have talked to us about how their familes and friends react to thier preferences. Some good, some not so good. But ALL of them had life changing moments when they finally allowed themselves to be true to themselves. Just a thought.

just for fun you might enjoy this:

Good luck to you.

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.