Hairstyling/recently permed hair to be rebonded soon

Hi. I had my hair permed last August 2013. I didn't like the outcome because my hair becomes frizzy and dry. I find it also unmanageable and I notice that my hair fall problem worsen. So now I decided to have my hair rebonded this coming October. Is this the best way to get rid of my dilemma? And is it really true that I have to wait for 6 months before having another hair prodedure?

FYI, before having the perm, I had a 1 yr and 6 mos rebonded hair and a 5 month colored hair.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Hya,

Not all products are compatible and it's typically not recommended to put one chemical over another one. Sodium Hydroxide Relaxers cannot be applied to hair that was previously treated with Calcium Hydroxide, for example.

So, without knowing what was used on your hair before or which rebonding product will be used, my only safe recommendation would be to go to the same designer that did the service before, explain that you'd like to get a rebonding treatment and ask if there is one that will work on your hair considering whats already on it.

Just because a lot of time has passed doesn't mean the chemicals are gone from your hair. The only way to get rid of it completely is to cut it as it grows out.

Personally, I don't think its worth the risk. Instead, I'd ask your stylist for deep conditioning treatments to get your hair prepped.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.