Hairstyling/Take care of hair!

Question
I dye my hair about every three months. The last time I did it was last week, but I am doing it again tomorrow to touch up a few spots that didn't really get dyed. I am worried about damaging my hair too much, so what would be good products/procedures to do to prevent as much damage as possible? I am a broke college kid living in a dorm, so they'd have to be at-home things, but any suggests would be amazing!
Thank you!
Maddi

P.S. A side question: are there any ways to truly grow hair faster, or are they all just myths? I'm growing mine out but it's at a kind of awkward length.

Answer
Hi Maddi,

Let me answer the easy question first.  The best way to grow your hair the quickest way possible is to live healthy. Eat well, sleep enough and get some exercise. Vitamins help only if you are deficient in something and you are predisposed to certain things. How quickly your grows, how thick it is, how fine or coarse it is in it's most natural state is hereditary. All of that can be affected by your health and how you treat your hair. I don't know which myths you are referring to so I can't tell you if they hold any truth or not. What I can tell you is that in order for your hair to continue getting longer, you must treat it gently and beep the split ends cut away. You cannot mend split ends and if you don't cut them off, they will break off making it seem  like your hair isn't growing. It will get long much faster by cutting 1/4 inch every month or two before you have split ends than it will if you don't trim it at all.  

As for doing your hair at home, I never, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services at home. The following paragraph can be found on my profile. If you absolutely MUST color your hair at home, don't use lightener or permanent color. You cannot overlap either one too many times without causing severe breakage and unpredictable color results. Plus, the cost of fixing a homemade disaster can be horrendous. You don't mention what you are using and without knowing that, any response I may come up with, would be a guess.  

From my profile:
... PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I know all about being a poor college student and kudos for being so. But please understand, I bought my home fixing hair disasters. What I WILL tell you is this; NO MATTER WHAT THE BOX SAYS, don't overlap the color. Don't continue to put permanent color on top of itself. It breaks down 10 to 15%'of the disulfide bonds in your hair every time you do it. And bleach breaks down even more. As much as 20%. Demi color does not damage your hair but you cannot lighten your hair with it.

What I tell all my college kids to do is stick to the low maintenance processes like demi color and ombré and save the expensive stuff for later or to to a reputable beauty school in your area where the prices are greatly reduced. Plus they will be able to make recommendations about home maintenance to make your color last longer.

Good luck,

Hairstyling

Dana Sear