Hairstyling/long hair exceeding waist..

Im 23 yr old and i have very long hair exceeding my waist...but i always wear a braid...because if i leave it open i cant manage them as my hair easily tangles and frizzes they aren't silky type.
Whenever i see girls flaunting their long silky stylish hair i feel like having the same...i try straightening at home with rollers bt in vain i cant manage to do it...i wish to go to salon but i really dont know what should i ask them to do..i'l be getting married soon so i want to look good even at my home so what should i ask at salon something that doesn't damage my hair(no rebonding) at the same time help me look stylish.. or at home what should i try
please please do reply..thanq

Hi Haniya,

Congratulations and many happy years on your upcoming wedding. The products you use are just as important as the techniques you use to make you hair look and feel as silky and healthy as possible. When you go to the salon, tell the designer exactly what you told me. You'd like to be able to wear your hair down but it tangles and is frizzy. You'd like to learn which products would work best on your hair type and how to use them to eliminate the frizz, make your hair look shinier and stop tangling.  

You probably need a bit of a trim, a deep conditioning treatment or two and the right conditioning shampoo and conditioner.

Be sure also to mention that you are getting married and ask for styling and product tips that will help prepare your hair your special day. Curly, coarse and/or dry hair needs lots of moisture and long hair needs protein for strength. You'll probably see a great improvement by going in and letting a designer do a trim and deep conditioning treatment on you. The designer will be able to tell you which products you can use to maintain the smooth shine at home.

Designers are trained to assess your hair so all you need to do is tell them what you like and don't like. Then, they can tell you what your options are and give you advise on styling and hair care.

Good luck and enjoy getting ready for you special day.

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.