I've always had pinstraight hair and longed for curls, so yesterday I went to get a perm. She did the curls quite tightly because my hair was so heavy. It seemed to come out okay at first but since I have really thick, heavy hair, by the time the stylist was finished styling and blowdrying there was virtually no curl to most of it, just a bit more volume (which I don't really need) and a tiny wave around the front where the hair is shorter.

I'm still looking after my perm as though it were curly - i.e. no washing for 48 hours - but I'm wondering, is there anything I can do to bring the curl back? The stylist recommended I use tongs since "with the perm, the curls will hold better", but is it just the case that my hair won't hold any sort of curl? Is there anything I can do to get curly hair?

Cheers :)

First, my apologies for the delayed response. From the sound of your note the perm did take, but the stylist then smoothed it all out. I'm a believer that when a client wants that kind of curl it's best to just leave it curly immediately after perming and it can be styled later if you choose. That said, if it was curly before styling, then after shampooing the curl should still be there. If this is not the case, it can be redone as long as your hair is in suitable condition. If so, what I would suggest is that after processing and rinsing they give you about a half hour waiting period before neutralizing, blotting very well every 5-10 minutes. This will remove more excess moisture and help stabilize the curl more.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (Hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in