Hairstyling/Redo rebonding

Hi, I had my hair rebonded yesterday. Now my hair looks kind of puffy instead of straight. 3 inches from the roots down, my hair is wavy instead of straight and from there down its straight but puffy straight, it's not totally flat. My hair does not feel damaged though. Maybe a little bit dry but no damaged ends.  
My question is how long before I can have it done again so my hair is totally poker straight ad flat? Also is it because my stylist made a mistake? I do have extremely curly and thick hair, is that why the treatment did not get all the way through?

Hi Poppy,

Honestly, it's difficult for me to answer this question for you. Without knowing which products were used, application, timing, details about your hair prior to the treatment, etc, it would only be speculation in my part. There are many variables that affect the outcome of any chemical service, and rebonding is no sexception.  Your best bet is to return to your designer and have him/her take a look. I would have to know which products were used before I could tell you if you can redo it or not.

As to whether your designer made a mistake or not, it depends. It's possible the formula wasn't aggressive enough for your curl type, your wasn't saturated enough, or the timing was off. Those are just a few of the things that can go wrong.

Often, I tell my clients that the coarser their hair, the harder it will be to get it glassy smooth without an iron. Unfortunately, I can't really help you because I can't see you hair.

Dryness can cause frizzy, poofy hair so it could be that a deep conditioner so a deep conditioning treatment may help, but again, you need to go back to your stylist to find out if there's anything that can be done,

Good luck  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.