Hairstyling/Bleed Prevention

Question
Hi Dana,

I had my hair highlighted with foils back in July, and am getting my virgin hair done again at the end of the month.  I am curious as to what I can do to prevent bleeds.  My colorist is thought of as the best of the best around our area, and is incredibly expensive.  She did a good job not having me look brassy, however, somehow I got a bleed last time.  I was really surprised, and am worried it's my fault somehow; my BFF French braided my hair after it was done the same day, and used some hairspray... could that create a bleed?  My colorist was very apologetic when I came in, and I think she sincerely didn't notice it when she blow dried it.  She fixed it no charge.  I am worried now, because she won't be in the salon for almost a week after the day she is foiling my hair, and I have interviews, and get togethers, so I really don't want a bleed in my hair.  What do you do to prevent this from happening?   People say I'm paranoid about bleeds, but I have already had a hairdresser fry my hair with box color in a salon, leaving rows of orange bleeds.  I cannot have that again.

Answer
Hi Katie,

You can't do anything to cause a bleed line. It occurs during the color process itself. The reason your stylist was so apologetic is because your stylist did it. It happens sometimes. The only thing you can do is have her go through it carefully before you leave the salon to make sure you don't have any spots before you leave and make sure you have plenty of time for your appt so if it does need to be fixed, she can fix it right then before you leave.

There are, of course, a couple of exceptions.  Bleed lines happen when the hair is not isolated within the foil. So for example, say you answer your phone, and push a foil loose, you can get a bleed line. If there's too much color in the foil and it seeps out the top of the foil, you can also get again bleed line. That is not something you can prevent. Another exception might be the section of hair is too wide. Again, that's out of your control. You'll just have to have your stylist check carefully next time.

And by the way, since most bleed lines occur on the curve of the head, and since your stylist didn't see it when she was drying your hair, I am going to assume it wasn't on the surface. No one in an interview is going to see that. I've never heard of a stylist in a salon using box color. Weird.

Anyway, just have her check it for you before you leave, and don't schedule anything immediately following your hair appointment just in case she needs to.  

Good luck with your interviews.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear