Hairstyling/Hot Oil Treatments

Question
Hey there!! I have been trying to keep my hair as healthy as possible. Last summer, I cut off all of my split ends so I can grow my hair out healthy, full, and strong! After getting all the dead ends cut off, I have been trimming my hair every 8 weeks about a centimeter to maintain the health as much as possible. My hair is now down to my lower back and almost to where I want it, which is a couple inches above my butt. I have recently noticed my hair becoming dry and split. I do not regularly apply heat to my hair and I haven't dyed it or lightened it in over a year. I only style it for special occasions. I do sleep with a silk pillow, and for work always have my hair in a pony tail or bun... so I don't see why my hair is splitting and looking dry. I do hot oil treatments to my hair at home. I use coconut oil and sometimes add glycerol to the mixture. Is it bad if the oil is scolding. I accidentally forgot to test the temperature of the oil the other day, and it ended up scolding my hands as I was wiping the excess oil from my hair...and I fear I did more damage than good to my hair. I know this message is a scatter of details about my hair, and not necessarily focused on one topic. I guess I am asking is hot oil treatments damaging to your hair, and is there any other way to keep my hair from splitting since i don't do much of anything to really split it?

Answer

Cutting off only a centimeter every two months may not be quite enough. Hair is much like silk. It needs gentle care and it sounds like you do that, but even the most careful treatment, the fiber wears down a bit.

As far as at home oil treatments, they won't hurt your hair but the molecules are too large to penetrate very deeply. I personally don't think they do much as far as repair but they do moisturize the outer cuticle ok.  For repair you need protein. You would get better results doing a deep restructuring treatment that combines both protein and moisture when you get your hair cut.  

By the way, split ends can't be repaired so the hair has to be cut just above where the splits are. That's probably why you have a bit of dryness on the ends.  Ask your stylist to look at your hair and determine exactly what you need. With hair as long as yours is I can almost guarantee that you need a combination of protein and moisture.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear