Hairstyling/layers

Question
haircut
haircut  
I have wurly curly hair, not super tight curl, but close.  I have normal density, so nots tons of strands of hair, normal amount and the strands themselves are medium-coarse-varied.  They put layers in me recently, telling me I'd get more volume and the curl would start farther up.  But not so!!   I find it looks like I have less hair (I do actually in the length) from the layers and I ain't got no more root curl than before.  How do you know when layers are for you and when they are not for you??  When I was younger, they told me to get layers to avoid the triangle head, but I don't know if I have the same amount of hair now, to need it or if I have less, or why it's not giving me the "lift" I was hoping for.  This is the cut!

Answer
Hi Andrea,

The problem is most likely the way the layers were cut.  When curly hair is cut using the techniques designed for curly hair, it does exactly what you're hoping for.  All hair can be layered. Even fine, thin, hardly there hair if it's done properly. Hair cutting is all geometry.  If you pull it straight up to layer, for example, it will lay close to the head. So, in this example, the hair will not be fuller. It will actually look like you have less. Sounds to me like this may be the way your hair was cut.  

I would recommend finding. Redken Curl Specialist or a DevaCurl specialist. Regardless, you need to find someone who has been specifically trained to cut curly hair. Both Redken and Deva have web sites that will help you find salons in your area.  

In my professional opinion, if you sat in my chair, I would recommend layers for you.  We would discuss  what kind of shape you like and that would determine how cut them. Then we would discuss which types of products you need to define the curl. You don't mention what you do to support your curls but products and how you handle your hair when it's wet has a lot to do with how it looks when it's dry.  DevaCurl is a great company for teaching curly girls how to make the most of their curls and waves. If you can find a Deva specialist in your area you'll be amazed at what you can do with your hair.  

Good luck.

Hairstyling

Dana Sear