Hairstyling/Hair breakage

I have had my hair done twice now by a licensed pro. with wave by
design. I have not done anything to my hair except wash condition
and moisturize, but my hair is breaking off by the combs full. My
hairdresser seems to be in disbelief, and as much as said, I did something to my hair. My hair is like straw, dry and brittle, I
have to continue to coat my hair with moisturizer before I can comb it. I feel like my hair has been fried. Can you recommend
a product that can save my hair, or will I have to cut my hair.
I have 3 bald spots in the front, and my hairdresser is reluctant
or unwilling to help. Thanks ,Frances

Hi Francis,

Well I hate to hear this.  It sounds like it's probably breaking where the product overlapped but I don't know that for sure. I could make a hundred guess as to what went wrong but let's just skip to what you can do about it. It would help I'd I knew which shampoo and conditioner you're using.  

While you hair does need moisture, moisture won't fix it. Moisture only makes hair soft and supple. You need to repair and rebuild with protein. There are many products to choose from but I'm going to focus on one so I can give you specific advice.

Redken has two products that are designed for this type of situation. The first is called Extreme Strength Builder Plus.  Shampoo, towel dry, apply and leave I 15 min. Rinse, towel dry, reapply and leave on 10 min. Rinse, towel dry and reapply. Leave on 5 min. Rinse. Your hair will be 95% stronger than it was before the treatment and it will be soft and supple as well.

You can do this as often as you want/need. I usually recommend in cases like yours to overlap it a bit. Do it again in about a week. After that, you can apply it once every 7 shampoos or so for 5 min and it will continue to rebuild your hair.

The second product is. Leave in called Anti-Snap. Apply every time your hair gets wet.  It helps stop the split ends from moving up the hair shaft. You probably will need to have the split ends cut but do the conditioning treatments first to repair as much as possible so you don't cut off more than necessary. What this doesn't fix, probably can't be fixed.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to request an in salon reconstructing treatment but it doesn't sound like your stylist is open to that. Perhaps it's time to find a new one.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.