Hairstyling/What hairstyle should I have for graduation?

So I'm having  my middle school graduation mid December and I'm not sure whether to wear my hair down (most likely curling it) or to tie it in a high ponytail. I have shoulder length black hair with curves at the bottom (caused by always tying it up). If what i'll be wearing matters, I'll be wearing a peach and black mullet dress, chunky necklace and bracelet and black flats. I would just like to have your proffesional opinion on how I should do my hair. And i would also like to know how to curl shoulder length hair. Thanks!!

Hi Kayla,

If it a formal event, I would suggest wearing your hair up. If it is more casual or day dress, up or down is appropriate.

As for how to curl your hair, you need to use some kind of thermal protectant to avoid heat damage. Other than that, curling irons, flat irons, hot rollers, clip curls, whatever all work. You can find unlimited number of how to videos on youtube to demo curling techniques that would probably be more helpful than me describing it to you here but in general that you want to curl your hair in the direction you want it to lay. So, if you want it to lay close without much volume and away from your face, you can hold your iron vertically and roll the iron back away from your face.

It also helps to clip the curls up in their curled position until they completely cool. The curls last much longer that way.

Check out youtube foe some great tutorials. Much better than trying to read the directions. :c)

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look so bloody surprised." Robert Cromeans

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.