Hairstyling/keeping hair straight

Which products would you recommend for keeping hair straight (as much as possible) to someone with lots of hair that is curly? Are there shampoos and conditioners for straight hair that actually work? What about products like gel/wax (to use after using a straightening iron). I am a male trying to grow out my hair and going through this awkward phase.

Hi Nash,

Absolutely! There are many products that help. Most professional product lines have specific products designed for this specific situation. SexyHair has an entire line of shampoos, conditioner and styling aids designed to smooth and block humidity  which is necessary to keep it smooth.  Redken, Matrix, pretty much everyone has a product line.

In general, you shampoo, rinse, apply conditioner and let it sit 3-5 minutes, rinse, towel dry, and then using a bit of tension, blow dry smooth. Then, if your hair is long enough you can use a straightening iron to finish the job.  Depending on how curly your hair is, you may find using a Denman brush as you blow dry but the easiest way to learn how to straighten curly hair is to go to a salon and have a pro show you and recommend products designed for your hair type. Wether a gel or smoothing cream would be best for you depends on your hair type.

Straightening irons are great as your hair gets a bit longer but I find them a splash awkward on short hair.  

Another possibility is using a smoothing system.  This is a chemical process that can be either demi permanent or permanent but I usually recommend the demi permanent because  I think it looks better as the hair grows out.  Kenra, GkHair, Coppola are 3 that I highly recommend but you'll have to go to a salon for the service. You will be able to let your hair air dry and it will dry straight after one of these services. Just something to think about.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.