Hairstyling/Thinning Shears on Thin Hair

Hi, Dana. As a man with very thick hair that has thinned considerably (male pattern baldness), I am always adamant that my barber never thin or texturize the front of my hair. Sadly, a new stylist did just that, claiming he was "breaking it up", and now my hair feels extremely light and thin. My question is, how long, if ever, will it take to return to its normal (albeit already thinning) state? I plan on growing the front out, and worry I will be stuck with thin ends for good. Thanks for the advice.

Hiya BD,

Don't worry. What we do to the outside has no effect on what's going on on the inside. That means, those bloody thinning shears didn't do anything permanent. However fast or slow your hair grows is how long it will take for it to grow out long enough to cut the thinned ends off.  All those scissors do is cut shorter pieces in between the longer ones so it's no more permanent that your hair cut is. You will probably want to let it grow an inch or so and then trim the ends.  Depending on how long your hair is now will determine how many times you'll have to do that to get the hair even again.  

In the meantime, there are many products on the market that work remarkably well to thicken your hair by enveloping it with a protein.  Bosley and Nioxin both have given extremely satisfactory results to many of my clients. If there's a salon in your area that sells Bosley, you might want to give that line a look see. The shampoo, conditioner and thickening treatment is amazing and many of my clients suffering from hair loss have reported that not only is their hair not thinning but after a few months of use, seems to be noticeably thicker.  Even if you choose not to use the system, the thickening treatment is very nice and you can apply just where you need it.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.