Hairstyling/my hair!!!

Yesterday,When getting ready for work.I went to use my curling iron and my bangs burnt onto the iron... my hair is in excellent condition,rests on top of shoulder and is fine textured. Hair was highlighted 5 months question is why is my hair smelling like i just got a perm??? I just went to the salon today to get a cut and my hair dresser couldn't give me an do I get rid of the smell?? Oh and the curling iron was only on my head for a second or longer
Thanks, Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Well, several things come to mind but I think what I would check first is the water source in your house. At first I thought it might be the thermostat on your iron going bad which would explain it suddenly burning your hair but the perm smell tells me it's something else. My first guess is a mineral buildup on your hair from your water. If there are mineral deposits on your faucets and shower heads, they're on your hair too.  The unpleasant odor associated with perms is often due sulfur which can be present in water as well.

What I recommend you try first is a clarifying treatment. Didn't your stylist recommend that? If not, there's a couple I prefer. One is by Redken and its a two step process. PreArt & cleansing Cream. She would probably have to apply heat to the PreArt and apply the Cleansing Cream over it. It can be done more than once if necessary . The other one is a product called Malibu C. It is a salon treatment as well and can be done more than once.  

After you try a salon clarifying treatment, you'll need to use a clarifying shampoo from time to time as well to prevent the mineral buildup from becoming a problem again. I particularly like the Malibu C home maintenance products.  

The other thing that is quite common but less likely is a hormone  imbalance of some sort but it's unlikely to be that if you aren't having my other issues.  

Let me know what you try and how well it works. The only thing to do is eliminate the possibilities.  I think the water is the best place to start.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.