Hairstyling/hair products & how much is appropriate to use

Silly question perhaps, but I was wondering about this... A lot of hair products (leave in conditioner, serums, etc) will suggest how much to use (dime size, quarter size, etc) on the label. This seems questionable to me as some people have very different hair.

For instance applying a quarter sized amount of a leave in conditioning cream is quite different on someone with a pixie cut vs someone with long or thick hair. My hair is medium thickness, wavy, and waist length. How much hair product is the correct amount to use in my case?

If the label says dime sized, does that apply to everyone equally? It seems that it wouldn't. I'm asking because I often feel products don't make much difference when I use them, and I generally feel they are ineffective whether it's to tame frizz, or to improve shine or manageability etc. Thanks for your time.

Hi Bethany,

You're right. For hair as long and thick as yours is, a dime sized amount is probably not enough. The reason such small amounts are suggested is because it doesn't take as much as people expect it to, for products to work their magic. It's always best to start with a small amount and add until you figure out how much you need. While too much of leave in conditioners and serums won't actually hurt your hair, they can sometimes make it feel heavy and dirty.

It's best to apply smaller amounts several times than it is to load your palm up and try to distribute it evenly through your hair though. So apply in dime to quarter sized amounts to sections of your hair. Then always comb your products through. Start with your ends and work up. Your ends usually need more than other areas.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.