Hairstyling/Hair style

Hello. I have really thick wavy hair and when I let it air dry or blow dry it it tends to get a little frizzy and poofy. My recent cut has long layers and it has worked really well for me. However, I love the cut/length of Julianne Hough's hair in the movie "Safe Haven." I was wondering if there is a way to cut my hair similar to that but without it going crazy and poofy. I didn't know if h inh it the same length or layered or angles would help.... Thanks for your time!

This is probably as much of a product issue as it is a hair cut issue. Getting your cut the same is certainly the way to start but it sounds like your hair is thicker than Julianne's. You need products that are designed to  smooth your hair and condense the cuticle so that it lays flat. While we can cut hair to create or minimize volume, I think the texture of your hair is what challenges you.

Without being able to see you, or having any idea about what products you use, I can only make some broad suggestions. Redken Smooth Lock products along with their Steam infusion conditioning treatment would work beautifully. SexyHair also has a very nice smoothing line that's easy to use.

For a more long lasting effect, there are many smoothing treatments that are amazing. Brocato, Redken, Chi all have both permanent and demi permanent smoothing systems that are gentle and extremely effective. I prefer the Demi's to the permanents because you don't have a weird grow out line and if you choose to never do another smoothing service again, it just gradually gies back to normal after several months. Based on what little information you've given me here, I think this type of treatment may be the closest to getting you what you want. You'll still be able to curl your hair if you want to or wear it wavy or straight. I'll post a couple of links for you so you can see some examples.

Both of these are pro only systems and I never recommend using at home chemical services because too much can go wrong. But I do think that a smoothing treatment is what you're looking for. If you decide to do more research on smoothing treatments and have questions, I'm happy to help.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.