Hairstyling/I need hair advice!

Question
My hair has about the same texture as Helena Bonham Carter- only less nice looking. Its curly and frizzy.
I'm currently a freshman, and in grade 5 it was really long but then I cut it. It was chin length for a while and then in grade 7 it was about down to my shoulders.
In 8th grade, I got scene hair. Then, I got a haircut to look like Dahvie Vanity-it had really short layers, and I had thick bangs that I had cut myself. I straightened it every day, which made it very dead, and I trimmed it myself. Then, my parents finally let me dye it, so I got it to a reddish but still kinda brownish color, which quickly faded. Then I got it to bright red- about one shade away from Ariana Grande. 3 months later I got it dyed back to my semi-natural color on top, but ombre to platinum blonde. Then, recently I had it dyed to dark brown with a purple tint. When that faded about 2 weeks later (my hair doesn't take color well), I dyed my then blonde-again tips bright pink with Splat. That faded in less then a week and now my hair is almost a combo of every color I ever had it dyed. My roots are my natural shade- really dark brown (almost looks black), and that fades to a lighter brown with hints of almost an orangey red in the light. On the botton it is yellowish blonde, with small hints of washed out pink. I also have tons of split ends, but they are slightly improving now that I learned how to properly condition my hair.I cannot braid my hair well both because I am bad at it, and because the layers from my scene hair days are not entirely grown out. Because I attempted to cut it myself, the hair on the sides are about two inches shorted than the hair in the back...
Its not as bad as it likely sounds, but close. I'm going to try to dye it back to my natural shade but I don't know if my parents will let me dye it again. I would love to get it cut like Marla Singer (Fight Club) but I don't think my parents would let me get it that short. Its currently about 6 inches past my shoulders (curly), but I have a side bang and the layers from my self-cut scene hair are not entirely grown out... Any ideas to make it look better?

Answer
Hi Shannyn,

I don't even know where to begin. First of, condition may seal up split ends a bit but it is very temporary. You need to get them cut off or they will travel up the hair shaft making your hair weaker and frizzier.

Based on your very thorough description I still can really tell you what to do to make it look better because I can't see it. In general, you need a cut that will blend all the layers and getting it to all one color would help immensley HOWEVER, you need to stop lightening it. A demi color that's a bit darker will help to get it all one color. The on,yo way to that without creating more damage is to go darker.

That's about the best I can do without being able to see you. Good luck. Isn't hair fun! You should become a hairdresser. :c)

Hairstyling

Dana Sear